Тел: 8 (4012) 379926
Viking village Kaup
reconstruction of an early medieval settlement based on the archeology of Prussian and Scandinavian settlements and forts, which was built on the type of a Danish military fortress of the 9th-11th centuries.
What is Kaup?
Kaup is an ancient Prussian trade and craft center that existed in the 9th-10th centuries in the north of Sambia in East Prussia.
During the Viking Age, this proto-city center in the Prussian area was one of the starting points of the Amber Route from the Baltic to the Mediterranean.
Ancient Kaup was located on the shores of the Brokist Bay on the Curonian Spit (near the modern village of Mokhovoe, Zelenogradsky urban district). Translated from the language of the ancient Scandinavians, this name means "marketplace", "fair".
Kaup was founded around 800. Life in the marketplace lasted half a century until it was destroyed in 1016 as a result of an attack by the Danish king Kanut the Great.
The burial ground in the Kaup forest tract has been known to local historians since 1865, and the associated settlement was discovered in 1979 by the archaeologist V.I.Kulakov, not far from the village of Mokhovoe.
The Danish chronicler Saxon Grammaticus described the events of the mid-10th century in the vicinity of Kaup as follows:
“Hakon, the son of King Harald, nicknamed Sinezub, attacked the Semba. When he saw that his soldiers were weakened from the deadly battle, he commanded to set the ships pulled out on land to fire, thereby eliminating the hope of escape. The battle was victorious for the Danish sword. The Danes settled on Sambia, married the wives of the fallen Prussians and led their lives along with (former) enemies. "
Viking Village is a reconstruction of an early medieval settlement based on the archeology of Prussian and Scandinavian settlements and forts. Circular settlements from 25 to 100 meters in diameter are characteristic of our region in the first millennium of our era. The mound is surrounded by a moat and a rampart, the entrance group is represented by a gate tower and a fragment of a stockade.
Nowadays there is a pottery workshop with a kiln for firing, a smithy, a shed for artisans, a medieval inn and one semi-dugout house. In the future, we plan to build all types of houses on the hill fort, typical for the South-Eastern Baltic region of the early Middle Ages.
An obstacle course has been built in front of the castle mound, where visitors can compete in agility and speed.
We are ready to cooperate with organizers of open airs, plein airs, tourist and educational gatherings and other cultural events that fit into the format of the settlement or the adjacent territory. In the meantime, there is no need to know about it. ”
We are also ready to receive tourist groups and hold corporate events by appointment.
Contact phone: 8 (4012) 37-99-26
Location: near the village of Romanovo, Zelenogradsky district of the Kaliningrad region